Gingerbread Pulse Pancakes
This recipe is full of aroma and spices! It can be topped with whipped cream, your favourite fruit, or just lightly dusted with icing sugar its up to you!
- 1 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour/GF all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp Cloves
- 4 tbsp Granulated white sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Molasses
- 1 cup Canned lentils, rinsed & pureed
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (soy, almond, cow's)
1. In a bowl sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl whisk in egg, molasses, lentil puree, milk, and oil.
3. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and stir until smooth.
4. Heat a medium-large pan over medium heat. Lightly grease with oil or cooking spray.
5. Spoon ¼ cup of batter into pan.
6. Wait until bubbles start to form around the edges of the pancake then flip.
7. Cook until golden brown in colour.
8. Serve with desired toppings.
- Chopped fruit (bananas, strawberries, apples)
- Whipped cream
- Maple syrup or powdered sugar
"What on earth is a pulse?" A pulse is an edible seed from the legume family. Pulses include lentils, chickpeas, peas, and beans they are found all along the prairies with the bulk of pulses grown in Saskatchewan, Canada. Kids will feel like they are secretly getting away with eating dessert for breakfast when eating Gingerbread Pulse Pancakes! It's made with whole wheat flour and lentils for fibre and protein keeping you feeling full throughout the morning. While making these pancakes the whole house fills with the wonderful aroma of gingerbread! This recipe can be made ahead of time and taken to a brunch or for busy schooldays. The pancakes can be reheated by being popped in the toaster!