¾ cup Onion, diced
2 Garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp garlic powder
½ cup Flour (potato starch if GF)
2 ½ cup Chicken stock/vegetable stock
3 cups Fresh or frozen broccoli florets
1 cup Grated carrot
1/2 tsp Yellow mustard
¼ tsp Nutmeg
2 cups Milk/cream
¼ tsp Salt & Pepper
½ cup 125 ml Grated Cheddar Cheese
- In a medium pot melt margarine/butter over medium heat. Once margarine or butter is melted add onions, garlic, and carrots cook until onions are clear in colour.
- Once onions are clear, add flour and cook until butter starts to form a thick paste ~5minutes.
- Slowly whisk stock into roux mixture. Continue until all stock is in the pot.
- Add spices, and seasoning. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes to cook off the starch.
- Once mixture is well combined stir in broccoli. * if you prefer some of the broccoli blended and some florets, cook broccoli till it is soft and remove some florets for garnish before blending the mixture.
- Add milk/cream and continue to heat until warm.
- Season to taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in grated cheddar cheese, save a small handful of grated cheese for garnish.
- Serve warm.
Dairy Free & soy free:
- replace cheddar cheese with Violife cheddar style shreds
- margarine/butter with coconut oil or dairy soy free margarine
- milk/cream with coconut milk/dairy and soy free alternative (cashew milk/almond milk)
- Replace flour with potato starch
This recipe can be adapted to be gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and corn free.