Do your kids love Mac & Cheese? This is a healthier alternative to Mac & Cheese that is loaded with fibre, protein, folate, iron, & calcium! This is a meal your kids & family will love and you will feel good about giving them!
2 ½ cups of your favourite elbow macaroni noodles
3 tbsp butter/margarine
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp Dijon mustard
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 cup Canned brown or green lentils rinsed, & pureed
1 ¾ cups milk of choice (cow's,soy, almond)
1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar
1. Boil macaroni according to directions on package. Cook until tender then drain and lightly toss with olive oil.
2. In a large saucepan or wok over medium heat melt the butter.
3. Add the flour, paprika, mustard, nutmeg, onion powder, and cook for 1 minute stir constantly.
4. Slowly whisk the milk. Bring to a boil and continue stirring constantly.
5. Simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Turn heat off stir in lentil puree and cheese, stir until melted.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Add macaroni to sauce and lightly stir to coat the noodles.
Lentils are edible pulses that really pack a nutritional punch! When added to food the fibre and protein help to keep you feeling full longer!